Health Assistance

European students


The European Health Insurance Card - EHIC will guarantee your health assistance in Spain if you come from one of the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden and Switzerland.

Please notice that you need to apply for the European Health Insurance Card in your home country, before travelling to Spain.

Once in Spain, you may need to go to the nearest Health Center to inform them that you are in Spain, so they can activate your file in the Spanish Health System and inform you about who will be your doctor, opening hours etc. They will ask for a copy of the: EHIC, passport or national ID and a copy of the Immigration document provided by the Immigration Office (NIE). To find the Health Center that corresponds to your postal address in Spain, please check the following search tools:


Non-European Union students


If you are a non-European Union student, it will be necessary to obtain a Student Visa in a Spanish Consulate, they will require a Private Insurance Policy valid during the whole duration of your stay in Spain.

Please contact your Insurance Provider to obtain the list of their associated Hospitals - Health Centers in Spain, which will guarantee your health assistance in our country.



  1. In general terms a candidate will be give access to a PhD programme if they hold a Spanish undergraduate qualification (or equivalent) and a Masters qualification.
  2. A candidate will also be given access if one of the following conditions is met:
    • Hold a Spanish undergaduate qualification, or the equivalent qualification from a member country of the European Higher Education Area (EHEA), that allows access onto a Masters programme in accordance with Article 16 of the Royal Decree 1993/2007 and have a total of at least 300 ECTS credits, of which a minimum of 60 ECTS credits must be at a Masters level.
    • Hold a Spanish undergraduate qualification with a duration, according to European legislation, of at least 300 ECTS credits. Such graduates will have to take compulsory credits as required by Article 7.2 of the Royal Decree 99/2011, unless the corresponding undergraduate programme contained credits in research training equivalent to the credits for research training in a postgraduate Masters programme.
    • University graduates who have already obtained a place on the heathcare specialist programme and have already received a positive assessment during at least two academic years of training towards the official qualification as one of the Health Sciences specialists.
    • Hold a qualification from a higher education institution in a country not belonging to the European Higher Education Area (EHEA) that has been recognised by San Jorge University as being of a level equivalent to a comparable Spanish Masters qualification and that permits access to a PhD programme in the country of origin. This access does not imply and official recognition of the previous qualification other than that for access to the corresponding PhD programme.
    • Hold a PhD qualification obtained during previous higher education systems.